Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Republican Legislature to Hispanics: Get Out Now

Republicans in the state legislature are sending to every single Latino in the state, legal or not, a loud and clear message: “Take yourself, your family, your kids, your companies, your culture, your tax payments, the jobs you create and not just get out, but get the hell out and get the hell out now!”

I’m not Latino, but if I were, I would be extremely concerned about the lunacy coming out of the Republican legislature. Under the guise of immigration control, the trespassing legislation would have police raid family picnics, soccer games and wedding receptions to hunt down supposed illegal aliens and haul them to jail.

If I were a Latino business owner, I can’t think of a better incentive to move out of the state than the threat of police harassment of my business, family and workers. No long-term history of living and running a business legally is worth remaining in a state where “acting tough” is better than “acting rightly” in an equitable manner and protecting citizen’s freedoms and rights.

I’m only talking about American citizens, no one else. Even the police believe this is a bad idea that will allow other crimes to go unreported because of perceived or trumped up immigration charges.

If I were a Latino and I was thinking about staying in Arizona, I would be thinking about who I can elect to make sure I, as a legal resident, do not have to live in the fear encouraged by the Republicans in the legislature. If this isn’t a wake up call for Latinos to vote, I don’t know what is and I hope they do.

No comments: